Häufig gestellte Fragen
Welcome to lyricstranslate.com! This site is dedicated to the translation of song lyrics. Lyrics, translations, music videos, and all other content are added solely by site users.
Hier kannst du:
- - Eine Übersetzung aus irgendeiner in irgendeine andere Sprache beantragen.
- - Eine Übersetzung von irgendeiner in irgendeine andere Sprache hinzufügen.
- - Comment on translations of other users and receive feedback on your translations - this will improve your knowledge and help others to improve.
- - Join a discussion in our lyrics forum.
- - Einen guten Übersetzer für jede Sprachkombination finden.
Join us! It's free. You'll enjoy yourself while helping others, communicating, and educating yourself. 'Cause songs and song meanings carry the essence of every culture.
Um den Einstieg leichter zu gestalten, folgt nun eine Liste von häufig gestellten Fragen.
- 1. First steps
- 2. Songs and artists
- 2.1 Wie kann ich einen Liedtext eintragen?
- 2.2 How do I add an artist?
- 2.3 How do I add a video?
- 2.4 I can’t see the content I’ve added
- 2.5 Wie bearbeitet man eine Übersetzung, ein Lied oder eine/n KünstlerIn?
- 2.6 How do I request a transcription of a song?
- 2.7 Covers and alternative performances
- 2.8 Soundtracks
- 2.9 Own poetry
- 3. Translations and languages
- 3.1 Wie beantragt man eine Liedtext-Übersetzung?
- 3.2 Wie kann ich eine Liedtext-Übersetzung eintragen?
- 3.3 How do I use "add new translation / request a translation" forms?
- 3.4 Doppelte Übersetzungen
- 3.5 Translation ratings
- 3.6 Can I add a translation done by someone else?
- 3.7 Was ist mit Google Translate und anderen Übersetzungsmaschinen?
- 3.8 Transliterations
- 3.9 Phonetic transcriptions
- 3.10 Constructed, non-standard and extinct languages
- 3.11 Languages not on the list
- 3.12 I started learning a new language, how about translating into it?
- 4. Idiome
- 5. What does it mean?
- 6. Tips and tricks
- 7. Our community and team
1.1 Login / register procedure. My profile.
Almost every act on LyricsTranslate.com requires a registration. Unregistered visitors can only read. They can’t add translations or translation requests, can’t vote, can’t comment, can’t subscribe to content etc.
That’s why you should register immediately! :) It’s free and very easy, it won’t take more time than reading of these few lines. We ask only for your valid email, and we don’t share it with any third-party organizations and don’t use it for sending unwanted mail (spam).
It’s even more simple if you’ve already got a Facebook.com account. Then you may use a ‘connect via facebook’ option, and it authorizes you on our site in one click (if you’re already logged in in your FB account).
Nach der Registrierung kannst du, wenn du möchest, dein Profil individuell gestalten, indem du zusätzliche Informationen einträgst. Du kannst schreiben, für welche Sprachen du dich interessierst, ein Profilbild hochladen, zusätzliche Kontaktinformationen eintragen etc. Diese Angaben werden für alle Besucher der Webseite, die dein Profil aufrufen, sichtbar sein.
Need even more info? Then here follows detailed description of login / register procedure and editing your profile fields.
- When you click on "Login / Register" link, you see a login form. If you already have registered LyricsTranslate account, you just fill in there proper information and log in. Otherwise you may chose "Create new account" link, fill in desired login details, decipher CAPTCHA image - and button "Create new account" takes you to your profile page.
- Anfangs ist die Profilseite fast leer. Wenn du auf "Bearbeiten" klickst, kannst du dein Profilbild hochladen, dein Passwort ändern und deine Kontaktinformationen eintragen (ICQ, MSN, Skype etc.). Außerdem kannst du dort angeben, für welche Sprachen du dich interessierst, welche du beherrscht - als Muttersprache oder fließend - und die, die du lernst (oder gerne lernen würdest). Wenn du diese Sprachen angibst, kann dein Profil von Leuten gefunden werden, die sich auch für manche dieser Sprachen interessieren: Vielleicht möchte jemand deine Muttersprache lernen - und so kannst du jemandem helfen, besser zu werden. Oder vielleicht findest du jemanden, der die selbe Sprache lernt wie du und ihr könnt euch gegenseitig helfen?
- All private information is kept hidden and never is shown openly. Please be careful and don’t use your email address to be your user name - because only in this case it becomes visible to potential spammers and spam-bots.
1.2 How do I change my username?
1.3 Wie kann ich mein Nutzerkonto löschen?
To delete your account, go to your profile page, click "Edit" and then "Cancel account" button. Please keep in mind that this action is irreversible.
1.4 How do I change my interface language?
LyricsTranslate is available in many languages, thanks to our interface translators. If you would like to see the list of the languages or to change yours, simply click on the “Select Language” button in the top right corner of every page, and then select a language from the list! If you make a mistake and choose a language that you don’t understand, you can always switch back to English (or another language), as the button stays the same regardless of the interface language.
1.5 What is Private Message (PM)?
The Personal Message (PM) system allows you to write messages to the other translators on the website. If you want to send one yourself, there are two ways of doing that:
1. Go to the profile page of the user whom you want to send your message to. Underneath the information they wrote about themselves and next to the languages they’ve selected, there is a “Contact me” field. The first option is “Send PM”, regardless of whether they’ve provided other means to be contacted – simply click it and write your message, then click “Send message”
2. You can send new messages from your own messages inbox (the tab is located under your own profile). There is a button “Write new message” in the top menu. Click it, type in the user’s username (the search gives you suggestions), then write your message and send it.
You can even send the same message to more than 1 user – simply divide with commas the usernames in the field “To”.
If you want to reply to a message another user sent you, there is a Reply field just underneath their message. Simply type in your response and click “Send message”. You can also check how your message looks like, before sending it, with the “Preview message” button.
Please note that you should have your PM enabled, in order to send and receive messages. It is enabled by default, but should you wish to change that setting, go to your profile->Edit->Enable private messages (located at the bottom of the page) and untick the box.
If you wish to block a specific user from sending you messages, head over to the message they’ve sent you and click on “Block user”. You can later unblock them by heading over to the “Blocked users” tab in your inbox and click “Unblock” next to their name.
2.1 Wie kann ich einen Liedtext eintragen?
First of all, you should be logged in to add a song text. And when you want to add a song text, it’s very important to use lyrics and artist information which may already exist on the site.
First, use artist search to find page related to the singer / band who sings the song.
Can you see the artist you look for? If yes, then use "Add new song" button on his page.
Can’t you see the artist you look for? If there’s no such artist in our database, you should:
- a) use this submit lyrics form.
- b) there fill in artist’s name and additional information about this artist (if you know any - it’ll be useful for others), along with lyrics text. After that, an artist’s page with lyrics and translation will be created automatically and will be available through artist search form.
If you want to add song lyrics together with its translation(s), see 3.2 How do I add a lyrics translation?
2.2 How do I add an artist?
Please use the search first, to check whether the artist you're looking for already has a page.
New artists are added automatically by the system when you open a page with their song. If you wish to add a song by an artist that’s not already present, then go to Actions->Add new song. Write the artist’s name and click Ok. You can add some infomation about them (country, genre, original name, website and wiki), and later on, after submitting the song, you can even add a picture of them.
Please note that the name of the artist should be written in Latin script (Transliterated), even when their original name is written with a different alphabet. In order to make it available in the search in the respective language, please add the original writing of their name in the “Original name” field.
2.3 How do I add a video?
You can add a video to all songs that you’ve submitted. To do so, either fill in the “Video” field with a link when adding a new song, or go to the page you wish to add video to, and click “Edit”, then add the link to the “Video” field.
If you wish to add a video to a song you haven’t submitted yourself, please use "Report broken data/spam" button on the song page.
2.4 I can’t see the content I’ve added
There are two possible reasons:
- I) Caching. We actively use caching mechanism on our site to improve its performance and increase page loading speed. It may cause delays in a new / changed content publishing.
To check if that’s the case follow these steps:
- a) Log in, if you’re not logged in,
- b) Press Ctrl+R (Cmd+R for Mac users) to reload the page where the content you are looking for should be published.
- II) Content was deleted by moderators. You may see 7.1 I do not agree with moderator’s actions. What can I do?
2.5 Wie kann ich eine Übersetzung, ein Lied oder einen Künstler bearbeiten?
First of all, you should be logged in to edit information on the site. Then there are two possible situations:
I. You want to edit information submitted by you - it’s a translation you posted, an artist or lyrics added by you. Then you should go to the content page - it may be a translation page or an artist page or a song text page and there you’ll see an ‘Edit’ button at the top of the page (just below the content header). Of course, you should be logged in to see this button.
II. You want to correct information submitted by someone else. Then you may take any (or all) of these steps:
- a) Write your corrections in page comments. Thus, a correct information becomes available to all visitors, including page author.
- b) Write a private message (PM) with corrections to the page author, so that he’ll be able to correct mistakes by himself. Also check when the user was last seen online - the user might be long gone, and your PM might go unnoticed.
- c) Write a private message (PM) with corrections to someone from a moderating team or editing team.
- d) Post in this forum topic.
Don't write messages like "That's wrong!" Instead, explain why it is wrong, or a suggestion on how to make it better.
2.6 How do I request a transcription of a song?
Before requesting a transcription of the lyrics for a song, please check to see if the lyrics already exist under the artist's page on the site. The song you look for might have been uploaded with different spelling, listed in a different artist page (especially if the song's a collaboration or a cover of another song) or uploaded in the forums.
If you can't find the song you're looking for, you should fill in the lyrics transcription form. To reach it, follow the menu at the top of the page -> Actions -> Request lyrics transcription.
Note that most of the fields can be left blank if you're not sure of the artist. The only mandatory fields are a link to a sound or video file, and the language (you may select "Unknown" if you don't know it).
If you're going to ask for a transcription of a song that's performed in more than one language, please add the names of the languages in the comment section or in the title field, between parenthesis.
2.7 Covers and alternative performances
If there're multiple artists who performed or covered the song, they should be listed in the "Also performed by" field while adding the song. In such a case, translations would be available for all artists who performed the song.
If you're going to add a soundtrack to the database, please add as artist the movie/musical name and the people who sang the song you're adding in the 'Featured artist' field - It will ask you to add a new artist in case it has not been added yet, so add all the information asked. Do not use any of the fields to add character names - if you want to give that information, you can add a submitter's comment.
Please don't add artist pages for each language the movie/musical/TV show has been performed in. Instead, add an entry with the name of the original version of the movie/musical/TV show. When dealing with foreign language versions of the songs, add the names of the songs in their respective languages and their original name between brackets. Examples: 'Ich liebe dich [I Love You]', 'A Love Song [Uma Canção de Amor]' and so on. This is done so that all the lyrics of all foreign versions of the songs (and the show) - as well as their translations - can be easily found in a single page.
All soundtrack pages must be accompanied by the following tags in their names: '(OST)' for movies; '(musical)' for showtunes. These pages must have 'Soundtrack' selected as the genre. A normal artist should not have its genre marked as such.
A year be put after (OST) for Live action versions of older movies like: Beauty and the Beast (OST) , Cinderella (OST) , etc.
If the soundtrack has been translated into different variations of a same language, feel free to add content in both of them, just add a tag citing the name of the variation between parenthesis - and after the original song title. For instance: 'Yo te amo [I Love You] (Spanish)', 'Une chanson d'amour [Uma Canção de Amor] (Canadian French)', and so on. However, if the variation already is in our language lists, select it as the language of the lyrics - in this case you don't have to add a language tag.
If a song has been recorded specifically for the movie, please add the film title as an artist, with all real performers as featuring artists.
2.9 Own poetry
You can publish your own poetry and artistic content. To do so, please add yourself as a new artist, and submit all the content you would like to be on the website.
3.1 Wie beantragt man eine Liedtext-Übersetzung?
First of all, you should be logged in to request a song translation. Then if you know for sure how an artist name and a song title for a song you’re interested in are spelled, follow these steps:
- a) First, use translation search by translations database. Maybe the translation you look for already exists here.
- b) Second, use request search by request database. May be the translation you are looking for has already been requested by someone else. If that’s your case, follow the link and press ‘Subscribe’ on the page of this request. You’ll receive a notification when someone adds the translation.
- c) Third, if that’s not your case, use artist search by artist database
Have you found the artist who sings the song you’re interested in?
If yes, then find the title of your song on the artist’s page, follow the link, and use ‘Request new translation’ button on the song page. If there’s no such song in a song list, use the ‘Request new translation’ button on the page. In this case you’ll be asked to provide the song lyrics - to make it possible for a translator to read and translate the song.
If there’s no such artist, use the menu at the top of the page: Menu -> Actions -> "Add new request" button. Then you’ll be asked to add artist’s name and additional information about this artist (if you know any - it’ll be useful for others).
If you can’t go through all the previous steps because you don’t know an artist name and / or a song title are incorrectly spelled, first use forum to identify it.
Please note that the number of requests is limited to two open requests per one song.
You may also see: 3.3 How do I use ‘add new translation / request a translation’ forms
3.2 Wie kann ich eine Liedtext-Übersetzung eintragen?
First of all, you should be logged in to add a translation. Also, when you want to add a translation, it’s very important to use lyrics and artist information which may already exist on the site.
First, look for the song you want to translate. That song might already be on LT, either under the artist you want or under another artist - e.g. the original artist, if your song is a cover. Even if you didn't know, the song might be from another artist, and already be on LT.
If you didn't find the song this way, try looking on the page of the artist you want to specify for the song, and look there.
If you still can't find it, use artist search to find a page related to a singer / band who sings the song you’d like to translate.
Have you found the artist you were looking for?
- If yes, then you should
- a) find the song name on the artist’s page
- b) follow the link - you’ll see an “Add new translation” button on the song’s page
- If there’s no such song in a list, use the “Add new translation” button which is on the artist’s main page. In this case you’ll be asked to add original lyrics text along with its translation.
Can't find the artist you're looking for?
- If there’s no such artist in our database, you should
- a) use the menu at the top of the page: Menu -> Actions -> "Add new translation" button
- b) there fill in artist’s name and additional information about this artist (if you know any - it’ll be useful for others), lyrics text and your translation. After that, an artist’s page with lyrics and translation will be created automatically
You may also see: 3.3 How do I use ‘add a translation / add a request’ forms?
3.3 Wie verwende ich die Formulare "Füge eine neue Übersetzung hinzu" und "Füge eine neue Anfrage hinzu"?
Hier kannst du eine neue Übersetzung eintragen.
Make a translation request here.
Wenn du eine Übersetzungsanfrage oder eine Übersetzung einträgst, solltest du alle dazugehörigen Informationen angeben - Künstler, Titel, Liedtext, die Sprache, in der der Liedtext geschrieben ist, und die Sprache, in die er übersetzt wurde/werden soll.
It will make your task easier by lessening the quantity of information you have to fill in. It will also make the site database tidier, by avoiding duplicate information.
If you can’t find artist or song in our database, then you’re welcome to use the form, and after that all required pages are created automatically, i.e. artist / song / translation / request pages.
3.4 Doppelte Übersetzungen
Translations that are too close to the original lyrics or previously added song translations are not allowed. Please do not add duplicate translations if you'd like to change a couple of words. In this case it’s better to point to inaccuracies in comments, or contact a translator via PM service.
If you want to add your own unique translation, add a translation as a new one. See 3.2 How do I add a translation?
3.5 Translation ratings
Every registered user with role Junior Member (and above) can rate translations, added by other translators. Votes are numbers from 1 to 5, 1 is the lowest, 5 is the highest vote. If you leave vote lower than 5 you are required to leave a comment - to explain why in your opinion the translation isn’t perfect.
Hier ist zur Orientierung angegeben, was die Bewertungen ungefähr bedeuten:
- 1 - terrible, just like a machine translation (see 3.7 What about Google Translate service and other machine translations?). It’s so bad that it shouldn’t be published on this site.
- 2 - sehr schlecht. Es macht zumindest etwas Sinn, beinhaltet aber Unmengen von syntaktischen und grammatikalischen Fehlern.
- 3 - mittelmäßig. Es sind ein paar Fehler vorhanden, die der Autor korrigieren sollte.
- 4 - gut. Möglicherweise nicht das Bestmögliche, aber die vollbrachte Leistung verdient Respekt. Beinhaltet nicht viele syntaktische und (fast) keine grammatikalischen Fehler.
- 5 - sehr gut. Ausgezeichnete Übersetzung, ich kann keinen Fehler finden.
3.6 Can I add a translation done by someone else?
If you're going to add a translation done by someone else, please make sure that the author doesn’t mind about reprinting. Always add a direct link to a translation source. Please understand that your submission will be deleted in case of author’s complain.
3.7 Was ist mit Google Translate und anderen Übersetzungsmaschinen?
Translations made via Google Translate or other machine translation services are not allowed on LyricsTranslate.com. Users who post such translations may be banned. The prohibition includes translation based off machine translations which have then been edited by the user.
If you are not proficient enough in a language, do not post translations in that language; or, ask for help in the forums, and only post the translation when the people who are helping you consider it to be good enough.
Languages in lyrics pages are expected to be written in their native scripts (e.g. Russian parts of a song are expected to be written in Cyrillic alphabet). To help people who cannot read the original scripts, one may rewrite (or copy) the lyrics in a different script (typically, roman letters). This is known as a transliteration.
If you want to upload a transliteration, upload it as if it were a translation to another language, but when asked for a language, select "Transliteration". You may upload more than one transliteration to a single song.
3.9 Phonetic transcriptions
You can also upload phonetic transcriptions so users can read aloud the text without knowledge of the language. We use the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) for that.
The method to upload transcriptions to IPA is like the one to upload transliterations, but the system doesn't allow to swap instantly lyrics and transcriptions; IPA is treated like a normal language.
3.10 Constructed, non-standard and extinct languages
Neither songs nor translations are required to be in languages currently spoken; we have lyrics and/or translations in constructed languages (like Esperanto, Klingon and Quenya), different dialects (Central German dialects, Turkish dialects, Torlakian dialect...) and exctinct (like Latin and Galician-Portuguese).
However, constructed languages that have no real meaning or way of being translated will not be added to the list until their creator expands on the language.
3.11 Languages not on the list
If you want to upload a song or translation for a language that's not in the list, please ask in the forum or to the adminship to add that language to the list.
You can choose "Other" as a language in the language list: in that case, either include a comment in your song, or change it to the correct one as soon as possible.
3.12 I started learning a new language, how about translating into it?
Please do not translate if you are a beginner and do not have enough knowledge of a language. You can always request help from other (native) speakers via PM or proofreading, but if your translation does not make any sense, it can get unpublished. While LyricsTranslate is a powerful learning tool and it can help you improve your language skills, we suggest you to request a translation instead, if you feel like you do not have enough writing/grammar knowledge.
4.1 What are Idioms for?
Idiom is a phrase or a fixed expression that has a figurative, or sometimes literal, meaning. Idioms database is for storing idioms in different languages and, of course, their meanings, translated (or not) to other languages. Some phrases used in song lyrics are difficult to understand, that’s why we added idioms databank to the site. Users can add new idioms, meanings (definitions) to existing idioms, request idiom for explanation, etc. See next Q’s for details.
4.2 How to add a new Idiom?
There are two ways to add it:
- 1) Use main menu: Menu -> Idioms -> Add new idiom.
- 2) Use Idioms block in the right column of Idioms page.
You can add a new idiom to explain it, or to request an explanation for it. You can request explanation on any language.
Please log in to add a new idiom.
4.3 How to add new explanation to existing idiom
To add a new explanation to existing idiom, you can use Add an explanation button on the idiom page.
To find idiom page, use idiom search.
4.4 How to request an explanation for the idiom
To request an explanation for existing idiom, you can use Request for explanation button on the idiom page. To find idiom page, use idiom search. If you want to know the meaning of the idiom that does not exist in the database, use request explanation form.
This site uses a point system to determine a user's basic standing on the site. You get points by adding content, and you need a certain amount of points to use the site without certain limitations on sending messages, posting links, adding requests, using profile settings, etc
- 10 Punkte für das Veröffentlichen einer Übersetzung
- 3 points for posting a transliteration
- 1 point for posting an idiom or a song
- 2 points for posting an explanation of a idiom
- 2 points for adding an artist
Points are a good way to judge a user's experience with the site, but take them with a grain of salt: They correspond to the quantity of a user's content, not the quality of it.
Sometimes site administration can manually add points for some useful deeds, e.g. when a user translates this site interface to another language.
Here follows a list of user roles on LyricsTranslate.com:
- Novice (0-29 points)
- Junior member (30-119 points)
- Member (120-449 points)
- Senior member (450-899 points)
- Super Member (900+ points)
A user role is automatically assigned to every registered user of LyricsTranslate.com according to number of points (see previous 5.1 Points) earned by this user. These points are given for the quantity of submitted by this user content. To judge the quality of user-added translations, visit his/her profile - there you’ll see ratings of his translations.
If a user reaches "Super Member" role, he can change his user role to any desired message. This custom role will be shown on any page of his translations in "About translator" block.
User can hide his user role from “About translator” block, shown at the top right on a translation page. To do this, use a top page menu: Menu -> Profile -> Edit Profile -> “Hide your role from "About translator" block” option.
Badges are given by a site administration to translators who have achieved some outstanding results. Nominations may vary, e.g.:
- best translator (user owns lots of translations with high visitors ratings)
- best voter (user has left lots of adequate visitor ratings for other users’ translations)
- best video editor (user has added lots of video clips to own and others’ translations)
Ein Abzeichen für jede Auszeichnung wird jedes Jahr an einen kleinen Kreis von Übersetzern gegeben.
Translator’s badges are shown in an “About translator” block. If you want to hide your badges from this block, use a top page menu: Menu -> User Profile -> “Hide your badges from "About translator" block” option.
Any registered user can subscribe to some content types, e.g. to a translation request, or to a translation page. You will receive notifications by e-mail in case of any changes on the page, including appearance of new comments.
You can manage frequency of new notifications (momentarily / hourly / daily) via your notifications page: Menu -> Notifications -> Notifications settings
We'd like to make LyricsTranslate interface available in different languages. Presently we can do it only with help of our visitors - with your help. If you think you'd like to help - read this interface translation text and go on further :)
Every translator can mark his translation for proofreading, so that other members can see easily where their help is wanted. "Request proofreading" button can be found on a translation page. Logged in users can search within marked translations.
5.7 "In progress" feature.
Press the 'in progress' button if you want to let other translators know that you're translating this translation request.
You can mark no more than 5 requests with help of this button.
You can access the list of translation requests 'in progress' via Main Menu.
After three days, if translation is not completed, the 'in progress' status is removed automatically.
One can still translate request, which is 'in progress' by other user. If somebody translates request you marked 'in progress' earlier, it will disappear from your 'in progress' list.
6.1 Use advanced search
The search form you see in a header of every page of LyricsTranslate.com uses Google search. It’s convenient for a general full-text search through all song texts, comments, forum posts etc., but has some restrictions (inconvenient display of result pages).
Try using advanced search because it allows very fine tuning of your search query.
- Search by lyrics translations
- Search by translation requests
- Search by artist / band
- Search by translator
6.2 Adding footnotes
In order to add footnotes to your text, please use the [fn] [/fn] open/close tags where you want your footnote to appear - in the text itself. Between those two tags you must enter the content text of your footnote, so it will look like this [fn]footnote text content here[/fn]. The numbering will be generated automatically.
You can also use a "value" attribute to a) set the numbering to start from the given value, or b) to set an arbitrary text string as label.
[fn value="5"]This becomes footnote #5. Subsequent are #6, #7...[/fn]
[fn value="*"]This footnote is assigned the label "*"[/fn]
Using value="" you can have multiple references to the same footnote in the text body.
[fn value="5"]This becomes footnote #5.[/fn]
[fn value="5"]This is a reference to the same footnote #5, this text itself is discarded.[/fn]
7.1 Ich bin mit dem Verhalten eines Moderators/einer Moderatorin nicht einverstanden. Was kann ich machen?
Ignoring the moderator’s warnings or public discussion of moderator’s actions may lead to temporary or permanent ban. If you do not agree with moderator’s actions, please contact the administrators