Bugs after April 2017 update

159 posts / 0 new
Editor - Sculptor of Language

@Alma Barroca
The problem seems to be solved by now.
It wasn't an effect of logging in.
I always first log in.

not really a bug. but still videos you just added couple weeks ago (sometimes days) keep disappearing. this is atrocious. better would be having a dedicated server where they all get saved for good. otherwise a lot of upkeep is just in vain. dont know why this isn't already done, probably a copyright/legal or financing issue.. but adding videolinks that just disappear is disheartening... right now when you calculate 10MB per song (480px video) you only need little over 1TB of data. cause there are 600K songs and each year theres around 100K more. i'm not an IT expert, but that amount of data seems to be manageable ? just a train of thought..

Editor and cheeky nitpicker

Hosting vids is not that easy, if you want to accomodate the variety of devices on which they can be viewed.
Just as Youtube does, you need to maintain several versions, ranging from small, low quality for a low end phone which doesn't have the resolution nor the bandwith for hi-res streams, to a nice fat version that looks cool on a PC.
Besides, you might want to offer a flash player for compatibility with older browsers and HTML5 version(s) for more modern ones.

However, since this site is about sounds more than images, I suppose a simple picture (extracted automatically from the vid) with the music playing in the background would be quite enough to replace a dead Youtube link.
This would cost even less in terms of storage and bandwidth, since sound weights very little compared to video (less than 3MB for a typical 3 min song @ 128Kbps, which is more than enough for basic pop!).

But then there is of course the problem of copyright infrigement. Soon as the site hosts a vid, its owners are supposed to pay the royalties...

" But then there is of course the problem of copyright infrigement.
Soon as the site hosts a vid, its owners are supposed to pay the royalties..."

yes, that's what i thought too... copyright is complicating things a lot.
for a small website like this the cost would be astronomical.. so that option is off the table.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/4e/4e107816609e3eaed0b319947bc9c13272a5d371d...

Quote:

Comments are usually meant for the author or the people involved in a discussion on the page. I don't see the point in letting all users know (briefly) about them.

If I understand you correctly, I agree. I see that the comments are back " live " on the public "Site Activity" feed-any and all comments. It's almost a deterrent for would-be commentators. I do not see it as necessary for most of us regular users. Maybe it helps the moderators in some way, but for me it is an unwelcome distraction. Wink smile
I'll get used to it, as this was how it worked before... Wink smile

Retired Editor of Videos and Typos

I got this error when clicking on a song on my profile: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/syvysharmavus-syksynharmaus.html

lt
Administrator

@Pääsuke: We're working to fix it asap, thanks for reporting.

lt wrote:

@Pääsuke: We're working to fix it asap, thanks for reporting.

No problem. Seems to be ok now Regular smile

Editor from the Land of Fire

I don't know if it is only me or not, but I cannot see the 'Report broken data/spam' button under the artists' pages.

taddy26 wrote:

I don't know if it is only me or not, but I cannot see the 'Report broken data/spam' button under the artists' pages.

You mean the page with the artist's song list?

Picking a few pages at random, I see the 2 white buttons "suscribe" and "report broken data" on the right of the 3 green buttons "add song/translation/request" every time.

I switched the interface language to English, French, Russian and German. The worst I've seen is English labels when the interface was not fully translated ("report broken data" in Russian).

Since the server will send the same contents to everyone, chances are the problem is with your browser. Or maybe we are not talking about the same kind of pages?

Yes, I mean the page with the artist's song list. I picked up a random artist to check again, still I didn't see that button. The only button I see is the"subscribe" button. I see the report button everywhere, but artists' pages.

How strange. As a computer guy I can't think of an obvious reason why this particular button would fail to display while all the others work as intended, but then again I've seen stranger things happen when computers were involved.

I don't suppose your editor status deprives you of the right to report spam? If anything you should have more rights than us mere mortals Regular smile

Different statuses lead the server to generate different pages (for instance adding extra buttons like "edit" on translations that don't belong to you). A bug based on the same mechanism could prevent the generation of this particular button just for editors.
So maybe you could ask another editor to check if you all have the same problem.

You might be right, I asked it in editors' room. Hopefully someone will respond. Though, the disappearance of that button is still weird.

taddy26 wrote:

You might be right, I asked it in editors' room. Hopefully someone will respond. Though, the disappearance of that button is still weird.

I can see it, says "Report broken data".

But I still can't see it. So if you see it, it means it is only me who cannot see that button under the artists' pages... I still the 'subscribe' button, but not report button..

lt
Administrator

@taddy26: The button should be there, we checked specifically for your account. Could you send us a screenshot of an artist page, e.g. http://lyricstranslate.com/en/mark-medlock-lyrics.html ?

lt wrote:

@taddy26: The button should be there, we checked specifically for your account. Could you send us a screenshot of an artist page, e.g. http://lyricstranslate.com/en/mark-medlock-lyrics.html ?

Yes, of course. https://m.imgur.com/F4sxCIB
I see the button everywhere, but the artists' pages.

EDIT: I can't that button since the day before yesterday, everything was fine before.

lt
Administrator

Looks like a mobile version. Could you please try on a desktop?

Editor of Russian content

1) when setting gender in the profile (in case you left it blank before), the avatar disappears and has to be re-uploaded
2) the "strong" tag does not seem to work. The text remains plain instead of turning bold and the tags are displayed as if not interpreted
3) sometimes, comments visualized with the "preview" feature fail to be published entirely

@lt Now that I see it there, but I only see it on desktop now.. Not when I log in via mobile telephone or iPad, or any other devices. It's weird, I've never come across something like that before...

My bet is, the button is hidden below the display area and for some reason enlarging the display to fit all the elements is beyond the smartness of your phone Regular smile
If you feel like sneezing these next few days, it might be the LT guys trying to fix the HTML formatting and cursing you for finding this bug Teeth smile

To end with a more constructive note, if your browser allows to zoom-in on a page, that might be enough to see the button reappear.

Oh, I don't know Teeth smile As I said, it started to disappear a few days ago :d Welcome to the team, btw

Thanks Regular smile
Is there really an editor-specific forum btw? I could not find any, but maybe I didn't look at the right place?

You're welcome! There is not any editor-specific forum, there is a chat room for Editors (and Mods), click on the chat box, You'll see "Editors' room" box upon the "Public chatroom" box.

Ah OK, thanks. I always leave the chat off, that's why I didn't think of that.

Glad that I could help :d

lt
Administrator
Green_Sattva wrote:

2) the "strong" tag does not seem to work. The text remains plain instead of turning bold and the tags are displayed as if not interpreted

@Green_Sattva: Could you explain where exactly the "strong" tag doesn't work?

It's not a bug per se, but I've seen number of views. The question is: how are the numbers in the brackets counted? I've guessed that these are some "recent" views, but not how they are exactly managed.
Also it would be great to be able to sort song list by this count.

Editor of Russian content

Also in the site activity box I saw http://lyricstranslate.com/en/forum/editors-room/report-bug (and others), that, according to name, I shall not see it at all. Access is denied to it, though.

@Ivan U7n That's because the forum is only accessable for editors, mods, and admins.

@taddy26, then I should not see these topics at all, even in activity box. That was what the report about, not that I can’t read it.

Moderator of the Balkans :)

I mentioned that to the admins, as it made me an impression too - not sure why it appeared in the site activity, as it shouldn't, but they will probably look into it.

@Ivan U7n I always see comments from the unpublished posts in the site activity box, does it also happen to you?

My question to the admins:
Sorry to make this problem up-to-date, but I still cannot see report button under the artists' pages, and I usually log in via my phone, so it means I won't be able to see that button anymore unless I log in on desktop?

@taddy26, yes, I always see them, even if can't access them.

Neither can I, so that's why I thought we could see the things that we cannot access in the site activity box, anyhow it's still weird.

Any luck trying to zoom in on the page (if whatever phone you're using allows it) ?

Zooming in doesn't work... My phone allows to zoom in, but all I see is the "subscribe" button..

Ah well, it was worth a try. Sorry it didn't get you unstuck.

Could you please also check that button via your phone? I see no reason for it to disappear..

@petit élève, it just isn't there (notice the self-explaining class name): <li class="mobile-hide"><a href="/en/flag/confirm/flag/abuse_node/603235?destination=node/603235&type=artist">Report broken data</a></li>

Well, trouble is, I don't have any phone. Just a plain PC.
Besides, it would only be significant with the exact same model.

All these troubles are due to lack of space on these relatively small screens, and each phone has its own quirky way of coping with that. Your bug is probably occuring only on a small number of models, or else it would have long been noticed and fixed by the LT web designers.

And the mobile version it seems isn’t in priority, there is at least one other bug I've reported in the mobile version, that is still not fixed.

@Ivan Oops... I did not even think to look

I assumed the LT guys would have known right away if such a mechanism had been put into the HTML by design.

How come they did not spot that? It's sticking out like a sore thumb!

And how come Jala is the only one to have this problem? Nobody else ever misses this button while browsing from a phone, or what?

That's because it never happened before, till a few days ago. And when I didn't see that button, I tried on other devices (such as Ipad and my dad's phone), and I can't still see that. Oh, well, Jala is unlucky...

It seems it is marked as such only in artists' pages, and not many people report artists, especially from the phone. Wink smile

Well, I can only confirm what you say.
I looked for this CSS class and it also appears in the "translations" and "requests" headers, meaning you should not be able to see anything but the song list from a phone.

For some reason they hid the spam report button too, while they left it visible on other pages.

It might also be that this tag only activates when the screen resolution drops below whatever value, so maybe that does not occur on all phones.

Anyway there is little doubt you found the smoking gun. The rest should be fixed (or documented as a new feature) by the LT guys.

Well done, Ivan. I hope you'll get at least a "troubleshooter 2017" badge for that Regular smile

lt
Administrator
taddy26 wrote:

My question to the admins:
Sorry to make this problem up-to-date, but I still cannot see report button under the artists' pages, and I usually log in via my phone, so it means I won't be able to see that button anymore unless I log in on desktop?

It's not a bug if you use mobile site version - the button has been removed there.

lt
Administrator
Ivan U7n wrote:

Also in the site activity box I saw http://lyricstranslate.com/en/forum/editors-room/report-bug (and others), that, according to name, I shall not see it at all. Access is denied to it, though.

Fixed, thanks.

Pages