Question: What browser do you recommend for LT?

33 posts / 0 new
Guest
Pending moderation

What do you use for LT? Opera, Maxthon, Mozilla, etc.

What browser do you recommend for me? I find I have too many technical
issues these days , and it 's just me. It isn't the website.

I have Maxthon, Opera, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox.

The only popular browser I don't really like is Chrome. Do you experience
anything similar ? I have to use multiple browers when working here all the time,
and I know it's just me. Not a complaint, but seeking "techie" advice.

Thank you all very much for your thoughts in advance.

The First Time-Traveler
Joined: 08.12.2016

Although I am guilty of using Google Chrome oftentimes for simplicity some browsers I've tried out on virtual machines and such are Chrome Canary, Yandex Browser, and Vivaldi. Chrome Canary is just another beta for Chrome and works faster in my opinion but is also prone to a lot of strange errors so if you're planning to do any serious work on it, it's probably not a good idea to use it in my opinion. Yandex Browser is still in its proto-stages and is aiming for simplicity . . . however, it is also prone to errors like any new browser might have. Vivaldi is one that was created by rogue coders originally working on the Opera Browser project. Vivaldi is all about customization so that might be interesting to try. However, there is a clear reason why certain browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome have stayed in power; keep in mind it's all an experimental resistance to mainstream browsers so they suffer from all the issues of a young upstart. Hope that helps Wink smile

Guest

Your comment does indeed help a lot, O.A. ! Regular smile
Thank you.

I may have to just download Chrome for stability.

Super Member
Joined: 06.02.2016

formerly firefox. but it has no voice recognition on google translate so now i'm on chrome an i cant complain.

Moderator
Joined: 16.01.2013

I’ve tried different browsers and all didn’t suite my taste. I use to open too many tabs during one session and only Firefox is convenient when you do it. The only problem is that the last versions simply eat the memory. I have 16 GB RAM and I’m using a 64 bit version, but FF works fast only when it occupies less than 3 GB and that happens unbelievably quickly. The more memory it occupies the slower it gets and at about 6 GB it almost unusable, so I have to close it and after restarting to open only the tabs that I need at the moment. Interesting thing is that exactly the same happens when I use the 32 bit version. There is no difference between these versions and it should be. Strange.

I had been always using Polish version until I upgraded to 54.0.1. On my notebook (Win 7 Home Edition) it worked extremely slow and after opening something like 10 tabs the game was over - it was too slow. On my desktop (Win 7 Pro) things were worst. After opening more then 5 tabs it hanged and then crashed. When I started FF again there was no way to restore the session. And again and again... I decided to downgrade to 53, but it was available only in English. I got irritated when it suddenly upgraded automatically, even though I turned off this option, but 54.0.1 in English version doesn’t crash. Clearly this bug exists only in the Polish version.

I also like FF because there are many useful add-ons that you can install, making it very convenient to use.

I suspect that Kaspersky Internet Security may be the main reason for slowing down FF and most probably the same thing would happen in case of other browsers, but I never tested it, so I can’t say.

As for other browsers: Vivaldi seems to be a pretty light browser. The same applies to FlashPeak Slimjet. I installed it because it got a tool for downloading videos from YT, but Google protested and they removed it. BTW, it was also possible to download the audio only making it a free source for the music and that was probably the main reason why it had do disappear.

One thing is worth mentioning: in Opera you’ve got VPN, so it’s better in case you want to preserve your privacy, but that’s not needed here. The engine is the same as in Chrome, that’s why it’s better than Chrome.

Super Member
Joined: 06.02.2016

adelfina: get avast (its free) and drop the kaspersky bloatware . defrag your HDD overnight and run malwarebytes. i run an i5 core with 4x3,2Ghz on only 4GB RAM but still have no performance issues. my old computer was an old 2008 macbook and when i had to do real work on it like making large family trees as png files, it would almost crash my rig. it was rediculous and so frustrating. i'm so glad i can afford a decent pc.

rainymoon: chrome takes long to load up but once it runs its smooth sailing. just leave the browser always open (minimized). if you restart it it takes half a minute.

Guest
Quote:

formerly firefox. but it has no voice recognition on google translate so now i'm on chrome an i cant complain.

Okay thank you Mark.

Quote:

I also like FF because there are many useful add-ons that you can install, making it very convenient to use.

I suspect that Kaspersky Internet Security may be the main reason for slowing down FF and most probably the same thing would happen in case of other browsers, but I never tested it, so I can’t say.

As for other browsers: Vivaldi seems to be a pretty light browser. The same applies to FlashPeak Slimjet. I installed it because it got a tool for downloading videos from YT, but Google protested and they removed it. BTW, it was also possible to download the audio only making it a free source for the music and that was probably the main reason why it had do disappear.

One thing is worth mentioning: in Opera you’ve got VPN, so it’s better in case you want to preserve your privacy, but that’s not needed here. The engine is the same as in Chrome, that’s why it’s better than Chrome.

Andrzej,

First of all, thank you so much. I also prefer Firefox best.
However, the latest updates have been tricky, and there are some issues
whenever I play Youtube videos, which is a feature that goes hand in hand with LT.
This may have been because of ABP or some other feature I added back then. So then I switched
to Maxthon in the spring. It was working pretty well to use this website, until yesterday or the day before.

Right now I'm trying Opera, and so far it works okay for some things but not others.

The truth is, Google will always have a problem with all of the "rogue" browsers as O.A. and you
suggest. Both are correct. I'm not as tech savvy as you guys, but
I appreciate all the finer points you have shared with me. For now, I'm just going to keep all these browsers open, but
Opera seems to be doing enough damage control. It will eventually start acting up. Teeth smile

Part of the problem is that my computer is getting old, too,
but that's not something I can take care of right away.

Thanks so much to you and the other guys. I appreciate your thoughts very much!

Guest
Quote:

rainymoon: chrome takes long to load up but once it runs its smooth sailing. just leave the browser always open (minimized). if you restart it it takes half a minute.

Yes, it's one of the problems I have with it. Thanks for the tip !

Editor and cheeky nitpicker
Joined: 14.09.2013

I'm still sticking with Firefox, despite its increasing unstability and memory consumption. Apparently it started a year or two ago, when they tried to circumvent the crash-prone Flash player by launching it in a separate process. Until last major update you had these "Flash player has crashed" reports, but now for me it's a crash to desktop once every few hours.

Google's browser, however well made, is still nothing but a whore of these glorified ad-sellers. I would better ride down Firefox's highway to hell than let that snitch bitch into my PC. Same goes for anything Microsoft has to offer, naturally. As for Apple's Safari, it's lagging too far behind in HTML support.

I might eventually consider switching to Opera if Firefox really becomes too much of a pain to use, but I don't think they can cope with Flash any better than everybody else. This bug hive has become such an issue that they finally planned its disappearance for 2020. Considering the huge migration cost to HTML5-based video for all the streaming industry, it must really have been broken beyond all repair Regular smile

Anyway I think you can't really blame the browsers for becoming increasingly unstable and cumbersome, when the actual pages are becoming so bloated with JavaScript and HTML5 gizmos that they can easily require more memory and computing power than native applications, let alone Internet bandwith.

I had some technical fun developping a little site for a friend1 a couple years ago. That gave me a pretty good idea of the horrors unfolding behind the scene when you load an innocent-looking little page.
We just have to endure the web designers kids playing with their shiny toys I guess...

  • 1. don't get your hopes up, besides being 100% in French, it requires a mouse and won't work properly on a phone or a tablet!
Editor from the Land of Fire
Joined: 21.06.2013

Hi! I would definitely recommend Mozilla Firefox for you. No technical issuses, you may open as many tabs as you want.

Moderator
Joined: 16.01.2013

One of my hobbies is photography and that’s why I use a panel with extremely wide gamut. Because of that I’m forced to use programs with Color Management, otherwise the colors are not correctly displayed and, what’s more, everything looks oversaturated. FF is the only browser that fully supports CM. Of course an add-on is needed. Others browsers either support CM partially or don’t support it at all - like Opera. Maybe one day someone will write an add-on.

One thing you need to understand is that both operating system and browsers are updated all the time. All this updates are not without bugs. E.g. Microsoft had promised that Win 7 should have never crashed, only the programs might have. For a long time it was true, but after one of the updates my Windows kept on crashing every couple of days showing the famous blue “screen of death”. Only after 3 month a new update solved the problem. Already a few times I had a problem with one of my mailboxes when using FF. It displayed the messages, but I couldn’t delete or move anything to other folders, so I used other browsers, mainly Opera, for this particular mailbox.

Every update can create new problems, but sooner or later they are solved. At the moment I noticed only one problem with FF when using GT: when I paste a new text and I want to go back to the previous one I land on an empty starting page. I don’t experience any problems with videos. I think you should check the settings of the AdBlock or uBlock (I use both of them because of some bloody sites - mainly German and Polish that are in German hands). Most probably they can create your problems with the videos. Once I was unable to see how many people read my translations and the reason for that was one filter in the AdBlock. The best way would be to turn such software off for LT. When you log in no adds are displayed, so such software is not needed.

Guest
Quote:

I'm still sticking with Firefox, despite its increasing unstability and memory consumption. Apparently it started a year or two ago, when they tried to circumvent the crash-prone Flash player by launching it in a separate process. Until last major update you had these "Flash player has crashed" reports, but now for me it's a crash to desktop once every few hours.

Google's browser, however well made, is still nothing but a whore of these glorified ad-sellers. I would better ride down Firefox's highway to hell than let that snitch bitch into my PC. Same goes for anything Microsoft has to offer, naturally. As for Apple's Safari, it's lagging too far behind in HTML support.

Anyway I think you can't really blame the browsers for becoming increasingly unstable and cumbersome, when the actual pages are becoming so bloated with JavaScript and HTML5 gizmos that they can easily require more memory and computing power than native applications, let alone Internet bandwith.

I cannot agree with you more there, petit-élève.
On Google, on Firefox, and on the fact that it just can't be helped.
Going to check out that page. Wink smile

Quote:

One thing you need to understand is that both operating system and browsers are updated all the time. All this updates are not without bugs.
I think you should check the settings of the AdBlock or uBlock (I use both of them because of some bloody sites - mainly German and Polish that are in German hands). Most probably they can create your problems with the videos. Once I was unable to see how many people read my translations and the reason for that was one filter in the AdBlock. The best way would be to turn such software off for LT. When you log in no adds are displayed, so such software is not needed.

Thanks again, Andrzej. (If it bothers you I call you by your name, I am sorry, I have trouble spelling both your username
and first name quickly. Forgive me.)
Updates and bugs, I understand well. Regular smile However, partially it is clearly
the impact of the blockers, as you tell me. Mine are German ones, too. These are trade-offs.

Quote:

Hi! I would definitely recommend Mozilla Firefox for you. No technical issuses, you may open as many tabs as you want.

Thank you Jala! ^_^

Well, guys. I appreciate all of your comments, everyone. I'm going to keep on using Firefox and Opera at the same time, while
I can still handle it. So far the only problem is switching from one to another. I may just uninstall the German addblocker on Firefox and that will take care of the problems.
Your comments were very useful to me, in any case. And I have learned much from you. Thanks for participating in my little thread.
I think it's solved. You all have pointed me in the right direction. Thanks so much!!!

Moderator
Joined: 16.01.2013

It’s fine, Ana (?). I think it’s ridiculous when you’re called by your username and your real name is visible in your profile. I got mad when people call me Aldefina. Anyway, no Spaniard was able to pronounce my name correctly, so they called me Andrés. That’s a Spanish equivalent of my name.

And last words about Firefox and Chrome. Both these programs few month ago still had a built in “hidden backdoor”. It was forced by FBI. They wanted to control the users' activity. This “feature” was discovered by some hackers and as a result three times within a very short period of time I got malware. Only when I decided to switch from 32 bit version to 64 bit the problem was solved. Later I read about it and interesting information was that only 32 bit version had this backdoor. I guess because it was more popular. So if you use a 64 bit operating system use also 64 bit FF, because even if it seems to operate the same way as the other one, it’s safer. Remember it won’t work if your OS is 32 bit.

Guest
Quote:

It’s fine, Ana (?). I think it’s ridiculous when you’re called by your username and your real name is visible in your profile. I got mad when people call me Aldefina. Anyway, no Spaniard was able to pronounce my name correctly, so they called me Andrés. That’s a Spanish equivalent of my name.
And last words about Firefox and Chrome. Both these programs few month ago still had a built in “hidden backdoor”. It was forced by FBI. They wanted to control the users' activity. This “feature” was discovered by some hackers and as a result three times within a very short period of time I got malware. Only when I decided to switch from 32 bit version to 64 bit the problem was solved. Later I read about it and interesting information was that only 32 bit version had this backdoor. I guess because it was more popular. So if you use a 64 bit operating system use also 64 bit FF, because even if it seems to operate the same way as the other one, it’s safer. Remember it won’t work if your OS is 32 bit.

Yes, I'm Ana. You and the others can also call me Ana.
I don't post it , but any LT member who can post here
can call me Ana or Rainymoon. Either one is fine with me.
The main "reason" I don't post it publicly is that
anyone can see it, not just regular members.
Either way, it's no "state secret." I just like to keep things low-key.

Okay, your name of Andrzej is hard for me,too! (Played it on Google translator.)
I hear there's a difference from "Andrei," but I can't figure out how I would articulate it out loud.
Hmm. I use a 64 bit operating system.
I did not know these news you are telling me, but in these times it is hard to be shocked.
Paradoxically, we're always being shocked .... But well, then I digress. Thanks, man.

Editor and cheeky nitpicker
Joined: 14.09.2013
Aldefina wrote:

Both these programs few month ago still had a built in “hidden backdoor”. It was forced by FBI. They wanted to control the users' activity. This “feature” was discovered by some hackers and as a result three times within a very short period of time I got malware

The only "backdoor" in Firefox I know of was not builtin, it was just a zero day vulnerability (a bug nobody had noticed) back in 2014 that allowed the FBI to bypass the famous Onion Router, spy on a pedophile network and collect 1000+ IP addresses before dismantling the network. It is possible that this vulnerability, once disclosed, was used by a few malwares before it was fixed, but that's long over now. Until next time, of course.
I agree using less widespread software variants (like a 64 bits version) is generally a good strategy to keep that kind of vulnerability-based malwares out, though the vast majority of HTML-vectored viruses are just trojan horses that trick the user into allowing their installation as plugins.

As for government access to private data, it's a legal matter any browser manufacturer has to comply with, or risk operating ouside the law, but I bet that would not last that long Regular smile

I was referring to tracking and data collection for the benefit of the advertising industry, which is not the same issue.
Advertisers don't steal secret data, they just collect and sell intimate details users implicitely agree to disclose in exchange for a cool-looking browser and a few fluffy kittens.
I strongly suspect my Firefox troubles have something to do with Flash player choking on ad blocking, but I'd rather endure a few crashes than let the ads loose :).

Super Member
Joined: 06.02.2016

NEVER EVER install a program through an automatic downloader. ALWAYS make sure you click on "manual download".
otherwise it will install the bing searchbar and possibly trojans, rootkit viruses etc.

Guest
Quote:

I strongly suspect my Firefox troubles have something to do with Flash player choking on ad blocking, but I'd rather endure a few crashes than let the ads loose :).

Petit-élève:
I experienced something similar. I would start a Youtube video,
and then it would start repeating itself randomly and without my help when I was doing something else, or when watching
another video.

Quote:

NEVER EVER install a program through an automatic downloader. ALWAYS make sure you click on "manual download".
otherwise it will install the bing searchbar and possibly trojans, rootkit viruses etc.

Mark:
Yes, ALL sorts of junk.

Moderator
Joined: 16.01.2013

As for Firefox vulnerability I’ve checked again and it was a similar story like with Tor which was (and is) based on FF. It was discovered at the end of November last year and it existed from the version 40 till 50. The appropriate exploit was “on sale” in the Darknet.

The malware that I got was not recognized by Kaspersky antivirus. Only my Internet provider blocked my access, informed me what kind of malware I got and how to remove it. It started sending spam with adds from one of my email accounts and that’s how it was noticed by the provider.

I called the Kaspersky hotline and I wondered how was it possible that I was getting malware when I was using only well known sites that were supposed to be safe and when I didn’t open any files from my mailbox nor installed any program. I nearly fainted when I heard an explanation. It’s enough to open a page with a specially “prepared” add. In fact those who run the sites don’t have too much influence about the ads that are published on their sites. They just sell the space for adds to different companies (mainly Google) and these companies again sell these spaces for those who want to publish ads. I don’t think anybody controls what’s in these ads. Who cares? Important is only that Google makes a lot of money.

I don’t experience any problems with Flash Player. Videos work well on all sites. Of course you can crash it, but (as I tested on my both computers) you need to try to play more than 3 or 4 videos at the same time on different tabs.

As for adds blocking I’ve been always using AdBlock Plus (turned on all sites, except LT) and for some time also uBlock, as I mentioned already, because of one Polish site, which is owned by Germans, where AdBlock was unable to hide all this trash and I was unable to use my mailbox, that I have there, because of many flashing and blinking adds, that were driving me mad.

Guest
Quote:

It started sending spam with adds from one of my email accounts and that’s how it was noticed by the provider.

I know some who have had that happen to them. It must be a pain;
for me it'd be an embarrassing nightmare. Sorry you had to deal with that!

Editor and cheeky nitpicker
Joined: 14.09.2013
Aldefina wrote:

I don’t experience any problems with Flash Player. Videos work well on all sites. Of course you can crash it, but (as I tested on my both computers) you need to try to play more than 3 or 4 videos at the same time on different tabs.

Well yes, but since a lot of pages continuously stream vids crawling with ads and reload themselves periodically, the crash limit is easy to reach.
For instance the site of the well known "le monde" French newspaper is a true calamity. I use to browse the headlines and open tabs on articles in advance (given the considerable loading time of these ad-bloated pages that won't display unless ad block is off).
Since their buggy scripts sometimes start playing ad vids (with sound!) even when you don't visualize the page, this is enough to crash Firefox once in a while.

Moderator
Joined: 16.01.2013

That’s why you need to get rid of ads. Internet without AdBlock or/and uBlock is a nightmare and it’s also dangerous, as my example shows (at that time I used only AdBlock and on some sites and it was not efficient enough). Perhaps that’s the reason why I need to open more tabs with an active Flash Player to make it crash. Just it, because the FF remains stable.

I would also advice you to use FlashStopper (add-on for FF). It works perfectly.

Most probably I caught this malware thanks to Flash Player which is one of the most vulnerable programs that exist. The same applies to all Adobe software, like Acrobat Reader. Never use it. I use Foxit Reader instead.

One thing you can do is to turn of java, java script and flash player. If you use a 64 bit FF java won’t work at all, so there’s no need to do it. There’s only one problem with the flash player. There are some sites that intentionally use it to maximum for every content, so if you turn it off you won’t be able to see anything apart from the text.

Super Member
Joined: 06.02.2016
petit élève][quote=Aldefina wrote:

Since their buggy scripts sometimes start playing ad vids (with sound!) even when you don't visualize the page, this is enough to crash Firefox once in a while.

you should NEVER EVER use sites that play scripts, start videos, start music, even tho you disabled it and use adblockers etc. You have to stay in control of your computer at all times. anything or anyone that violates this rule must be blocked, deleted. and become a no-go.

Moderator
Joined: 16.01.2013

Mark, all Polish sites do that, so should I not use any Polish site?

Super Member
Joined: 06.02.2016

probably not LOL. seriously theres nothing more annoying. i won't have a bunch of greedy venture capitalists crash my rig just cause they want their silly popups to make my day. in computers, some programs get worse over time. if they do. i use an older version.if not possible. i go to another product. if that fails too. i stop using it altogether.
NO POPUPS unless i want them. NO SMART INSTALLERS. NOT EVEN ONCE !

I've had two viruses shut down my rig in the last 8 yrs, but that was enough to teach me a lesson.

Editor and cheeky nitpicker
Joined: 14.09.2013
Aldefina wrote:

I would also advice you to use FlashStopper (add-on for FF). It works perfectly.

That sounds promising. A workaround for these crashes sure would be welcome!

Leader of the Balkan Squad
Joined: 14.10.2016

I personally use Opera because I've found it to be the fastest browser, and it has the added bonus of having a built-in Adblock feature.

Guest

Thanks, crimson. I appreciate your thoughts so much!

Senior Member
Joined: 13.04.2017

As we say in Russian: Google - хром, Firefox - мазила. I'd add Opera - 0 per a... Wink smile
Safari - so far I... Regular smile
Yeah, there are too many ways to kick the bucket...

Guest
Quote:

As we say in Russian: Google - хром, Firefox - мазила. I'd add Opera - 0 per a... Wink smile
Safari - so far I... Regular smile
Yeah, there are too many ways to kick the bucket...

In the end, they all give us headaches.
But "boats against the current," we must keep on updating ourselves. Teeth smile
Thanks, Brat.

I think someone mentioned one I never heard of here--- I think it was O.A.
But it's gone the way of the dinosaur already, it seems.

Senior Member
Joined: 13.04.2017
rainymoon wrote:

I think someone mentioned one I never heard of here--- I think it was O.A.
But it's gone the way of the dinosaur already, it seems.

If you are talking about YandexBrowser, I have something to tell about it. It is not even a piece of shit; it is a masterpiece of it, as my teacher of American Literature Mr. Scott used to say about non-achievers’ essays.
It is a kind of Russian nOclear weapon, I daresay. Reagan is turning over in his grave, I suppose…
Look, it consumes processor time, it devours memory, it annoys with stupid hints, and, as a result, it fucks-fucks-fucks your brains… And don’t you think that’s all: once it can ask you a stupid question like “Would you mind if I restart because of a fucking internal error?” “Of course I would not, because you fucking bastard ain’t working already!” - you say and click “YES”, but that’s not all folks, and the browser would suddenly stop responding “due to on-page error”…
The only thing to mention positively is that YB works within slow internet connection using its built-in Turbo even when Opera chokes. I don’t know how, but it does. Thus, sometimes it is still useful in distant rural areas.

Retired Editor of Videos and Typos
Joined: 23.04.2016

I use Firefox (it's open source and I wanna be part of the cause of "a better internet", whatever that means) as my main browser, but on Linux Mint I tried using Opera since it's the faster than FF on Linux (Opera has a built-in ad blocker). But the main reason I'd recommend Opera for LT is that you can copy-paste the source lyrics WHILE in the "translation view" songs. Now the ability to copy-paste source lyrics is something I suggested for the admins a while ago, but so far you can't do it on other browsers (at least not on Firefox). Maybe the admins use Opera as their main browser and have implemented the feature on Opera browsers, who knows. Anyways, the feature is quite useful if there are repetitive parts in a song or "hard words" that are bothersome to type out. (Oh, this thread is dead? Well it's time to play Jesus. Rise and walk!)

Editor and cheeky nitpicker
Joined: 14.09.2013

Emmanuel has come at last!

I agree the original lyrics not being selectable in FireFox is a bit annoying. I usually open the edit page with a ctrl-click, so that it appears in a new tab and leaves the original lyrics accessable for copy.
I use the original lyrics for dictionary lookups, especially with Russian where I use a transliteration tool instead of a Russian keyboard and re-typing the words from scratch is rather impractical.

About FF crashes, Andrzej's tip of using FlashStopper did improve things a lot, but after the last uptade my variant of AdBlock just stopped working and I had to revert to the vanilla AdBlock.
Since then the crashes are back with a vengeance. I sure watch a lot of YouTube vids, but anyway I consider myself lucky with less than a crash per day.
I wonder if it's just something wrong with my PC. The poor old beast has been running for years, so the system must be cluttered with countless updates, old software installations and all the junk Windows collects as time goes by. Still it feels comfy like a pair of old shoes. I can't bring myself to reformat the HD and start afresh.

Retired Editor of Videos and Typos
Joined: 23.04.2016

Haha, nice one with the song...

1. Ctrl+click: yes, I do that too. (one REALLY useful shortcut is ctrl+shift+T: it opens previously closed tabs. It's a real life saver.)
2. Try using uBlock Origin. You can even select elements to block.
3. If your PC is slow, try running CCleaner:https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download