Suggestions to improve LT's user experience

32 posts / 0 new
Editor
Joined: 23.04.2016

The title says it all, so without any futher ado, here are my/the 3 suggestions:

1. A thanks button that doesn't interrupt the playback of the song (now if you click on the thanks button the page reloads -> you have to scroll down and hit play again).
(I have a feeling this might be hard...ish to implement, what with working around the reload thing...)

2. After deleting a draft (or multiple drafts), display the "Drafts" page instead of the front page.

3. Add "Favorites" to user dropdown menu. Because why not? It decreases the time it takes to reach
Favorites. "HyperAuth" (manage Google+ or FB login) is probably a less frequently accessed settings item,
so it's absence from the menu is more justified.

4. I know I forgot something...

I did not scroll around the forum to see if someone had posted a similar post, sorry.

Have a good one, people Regular smile

Moderator and Scholar of a Dark Age
Joined: 16.02.2011
Pääsuke wrote:

The title says it all, so without any futher ado, here are my/the 3 suggestions:

1. A thanks button that doesn't interrupt the playback of the song (now if you click on the thanks button the page reloads -> you have to scroll down and hit play again).
(I have a feeling this might be hard...ish to implement, what with working around the reload thing...)

2. After deleting a draft (or multiple drafts), display the "Drafts" page instead of the front page.

3. Add "Favorites" to user dropdown menu. Because why not? It decreases the time it takes to reach
Favorites. "HyperAuth" (manage Google+ or FB login) is probably a less frequently accessed settings item,
so it's absence from the menu is more justified.

4. I know I forgot something...

I did not scroll around the forum to see if someone had posted a similar post, sorry.

Have a good one, people Regular smile

Thanks for the feedback. I've encountered none of these issues before (I've neither thanked someone while playing the embedded video, nor have I deleted any of my drafts, nor do I use the favorites feature much at all).
But it is therefore especially helpful to see how other users experience the website. I suppose at least the 3. suggestion could easily be implemented.

Editor
Joined: 23.04.2016

Thanks for your reply Regular smile
I didn't use the "Drafts" feature either until I got fed up with the hassle of having to manage the translations on my computer. I think "Drafts" is the best feature implemented yet.

Moderator and Scholar of a Dark Age
Joined: 16.02.2011

I do use the drafts feature, I just never delete my drafts.

Editor
Joined: 23.04.2016
Sciera wrote:

I do use the drafts feature, I just never delete my drafts.

Oh, okay. I only delete the drafts of songs which haven't been requested by a member (i.e songs I've planned to translate for myself or for someone I know). Another case when I might delete a draft is when someone else completed a request I was working on before me.

Leader of the Balkan Squad
Joined: 14.10.2016

Good ideas! I'd also add an option for multilingual songs so that one could know what languages the songs were in.

Moderator and Scholar of a Dark Age
Joined: 16.02.2011
crimsonDyname wrote:

Good ideas! I'd also add an option for multilingual songs so that one could know what languages the songs were in.

We had this feature a while ago but it was discontinued due to technical problems.
I would assume that it already is on the list of features to be re-added one day.

Junior Member
Joined: 11.12.2015

I sent a message to LT team just yesterday. I wrote:

Hi, I want to suggest a new option for the site. It would be nice if (in
personal profile) the word "READS" was visible inside the entries
"TRANSLATIONS" and "SONGS".

For example:

http://lyricstranslate.com/it/translator-details/fratelli-ditaglia-trans...

In the "SONGS" entry, there are 4 lists:
Artist - Title - Type - Language

I'd love the lists to be 5:
Artist - Title - Type - Language - READS

This way, the user does not need to enter every single page
of the song to see how many people have displayed the text (or the
translation) that he added.

I'm waiting for an answer. Thank you

They answered me:

Dear Fratelli d'ItaGlia

Thank you for your suggestion, we'll consider it.

Regards,
LyricsTranslate.com Team

But the problem is that they always answer in this way.

What do you think about my suggestion?

Editor of J-pop & Co.
Joined: 28.12.2015

Those could be great features! Which reminds me, I've noticed that a song's view-count can be seen only by the original poster. Why is that? I personally would like to see the numbers myself.

Editor from the Land of Fire
Joined: 21.06.2013

@Fratelli d'ItaGlia I also liked this idea! Keeping my fingers crossed for its implementation

Editor
Joined: 23.04.2016
Fratelli d'ItaGlia wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion, we'll consider it.

Regards,
LyricsTranslate.com Team

But the problem is that they always answer in this way.

I think/guess/suppose that they have their day jobs (it's usually the case with free websites) so they don't have the time to implement new features very quickly. I can imagine how much time troubleshooting can take, for example.

Editor
Joined: 18.12.2015

@Fratelli d'ItaGlia and @Imvisible:

It seems I'm not the only one noticing that there is plenty of room for improvement with the "Reads" feature.
You both have made some great suggestions which I definitely applaude but I find the lack of validity of this feature equally - if not more - important.
To be more specific I've noticed that:
1. The "Reads" number includes the readings made by the translator himself/ herself.
2. The "Reads" number includes the number of times the draft of a translation has been edited and saved before its publishing.

I have no idea whether these things can be fixed or not. I surely hope the admins will do something about it because it's a very helpful and motivational feature.

Editor
Joined: 23.04.2016
Tristana wrote:

1. The "Reads" number includes the readings made by the translator himself/ herself.
2. The "Reads" number includes the number of times the draft of a translation has been edited and saved before its publishing.

I've noticed that too. I've also seen a workaround for this on Blogger. You have the ability to disable page views made by yourself. Bare in mind that the settings (on Blogger) are stored in the cookie files, so each time you delete your cookies or private data (there are various reasons why you'd need to/ wish to do that), you'd have to re-enable the "do not count my page views" feature.

I don't know if it can be implemented on LT.

Super Member
Joined: 08.04.2017

These are really good suggestions!

I have a suggestion too. When I start writing a translation and then click on the "in progress" button, the page reloads and I lose what I've typed. Is there any way to fix this?

Super Member
Joined: 22.05.2016

I suggest to add a feature that enables us to add picture en the PMs Just like we do on Vibrr or messenger and I also hope the number of drafts be revealed on user's page

Editor
Joined: 23.04.2016
Llegó Dolor Del Corazón wrote:

I suggest to add a feature that enables us to add picture en the PMs Just like we do on Vibrr or messenger and I also hope the number of drafts be revealed on user's page

1. Adding pictures on PMs would require advanced web designing, because they would need to be deleted periodically to save server space. But it's a good suggestion Regular smile

2. What good would seeing the number of drafts do? I have 10-15 drafts that, mainly for songs which I intend to translate "for my own amusement", not because someone has requested them. There is already the "in progress feature" for following the progress of your drafts.

Super Member
Joined: 22.05.2016

[quote=Pääsuke]There is already the "in progress feature" for following the progress of your drafts

Really how come? I checked the " In progress" and says no records

Editor
Joined: 18.12.2015
Pääsuke wrote:

I've noticed that too. I've also seen a workaround for this on Blogger. You have the ability to disable page views made by yourself. Bare in mind that the settings (on Blogger) are stored in the cookie files, so each time you delete your cookies or private data (there are various reasons why you'd need to/ wish to do that), you'd have to re-enable the "do not count my page views" feature.

I don't know if it can be implemented on LT.

Ι don't know either but you make it seem doable. Regular smile

Llegó Dolor Del Corazón wrote:

I also hope the number of drafts be revealed on user's page

With all due respect, I hope such features will never be implemented on LT.

Hoffnung wrote:

When I start writing a translation and then click on the "in progress" button, the page reloads and I lose what I've typed. Is there any way to fix this?

I'm glad you've mentioned that.
I've been there before and it's so frustrating!

Also I would like to suggest a feature which will allow us to receive notifications about
new songs added under our favourite music genres or artists. Ok, I know I'm asking too much... Teeth smile

Editor
Joined: 23.04.2016
Llegó Dolor Del Corazón wrote:

Really how come? I checked the " In progress" and says no records

There you see the translations YOU have in progress. When someone else marks your request as "in progress", you will just get a notification (green dot, as usual) that "User XYZ has began translating Song X".

I would advise you to press the "in progress" button BEFORE you start translating.
(I know, it's the same scenerio like pressing "thanks" in the middle of a playing video, so you could say the same to me: thank before you play the video.)
Or just save the translation in drafts before you mark it as in progress. AND: there's a change that if you press the back button, the text will still be there.

I suppose doing things "in the right order" is the best we can do for the time being.

Editor
Joined: 23.04.2016
Tristana wrote:

With all due respect, I hope such features will never be implemented on LT.

I agree. I have 10-15 drafts in my...drafts...and none of them are requests. In my opinion, it would serve no purpose to show them to other people.

New suggestion: when in "quoting mode", have opinion to select text -> right click -> "Quote selection".
I'm too lazy to type the quote tags, so I just clicked quote, copied the first quote tag with the username - yours, Tristana - deleted the quotes you made and ta-da...I'm going to shut up now...

If any admins are reading this: we don't mean to pressure you Teeth smile Also I just noticed that "Favorites" has magically appeared in the user dropdown menu. Thanks! Regular smile

Editor of J-pop & Co.
Joined: 28.12.2015

It would be nice if we could create more than just one original name per artist. There are artists who produce music under several names, and some names can be transliterated in more ways. It would be practical if we could add aliases, and would probably make it easier to find the artists. What do you think?

lt
Administrator
Joined: 27.05.2008
Pääsuke wrote:

If any admins are reading this: we don't mean to pressure you Teeth smile Also I just noticed that "Favorites" has magically appeared in the user dropdown menu. Thanks! Regular smile

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Another trick implemented - "Thanks" button that doesn't interrupt the playback of the song anymore Regular smile

Moderator and guesslator
Joined: 25.02.2012

How should we handle it when someone requests a translation of a song that's in more than one language? This is not the first time I've translated a song that's mostly in English but with a few words or phrases from another language that I don't know. I feel like I would like to make another translation request so someone who knows that other language can improve the translation. I thought about posting a the song as a new song under the artist's name, just changing the language to the other language, and making a second translation request that way, but I didn't do it because I thought that would be too weird. What do people think?

http://lyricstranslate.com/en/pana-panafnkeine-ahnung-aber-httpwwwuzomed...

Super Member
Joined: 10.02.2017

I think there should be an "additional language input field"... It has happened to me before.... a lot of times.

Senior Member
Joined: 13.04.2017
Imvisible wrote:

It would be nice if we could create more than just one original name per artist. There are artists who produce music under several names, and some names can be transliterated in more ways. It would be practical if we could add aliases, and would probably make it easier to find the artists. What do you think?

I think, all we need is "a.k.a." field.

Editor
Joined: 18.12.2015
Brat wrote:

I think, all we need is "a.k.a." field.

As well as:
- a "Band Members" field
- a "Related Bands/Artists" field
- a "Specific Music Genre" field
- a "Similar Artists" field
- an "Artist's Bio" field
etc etc etc
Teeth smile

Moderator of the avant-garde
Joined: 05.04.2012
Brat wrote:

I think, all we need is "a.k.a." field.

It's been suggested before (with a 'Also spelled as' additional field being suggested as well - that way people could add artist names in Cyrillic/Kanji/Devanagari/etc all in a same page), but I don't know if its top priority.

Tristana wrote:

As well as:
- a "Band Members" field
- a "Related Bands/Artists" field
- a "Specific Music Genre" field
- a "Similar Artists" field
- an "Artist's Bio" field
etc etc etc
Teeth smile

Same - been suggested, don't know if it's on the priority list. The 1st entry you suggested was considered because several band members have solo careers and it could be good to link the pages.

Editor
Joined: 18.12.2015

Thanks for letting us know.

Junior Member
Joined: 11.12.2015
Tristana wrote:

@Fratelli d'ItaGlia and @Imvisible:

It seems I'm not the only one noticing that there is plenty of room for improvement with the "Reads" feature.
You both have made some great suggestions which I definitely applaude but I find the lack of validity of this feature equally - if not more - important.
To be more specific I've noticed that:
1. The "Reads" number includes the readings made by the translator himself/ herself.
2. The "Reads" number includes the number of times the draft of a translation has been edited and saved before its publishing.

I have no idea whether these things can be fixed or not. I surely hope the admins will do something about it because it's a very helpful and motivational feature.

I wrote to LT team:
Hello. Every time I go in the profile of a song that I added, or every time I
edit a text ot translation added by me, the view counter counts an extra
display, distorting the number of them. Is it possible to solve this?
I waiting for an answer, thanks

LT Team:
Dear Fratelli d'ItaGlia,
We're already working on it, so this issue should be resolved soon. Thanks for the reminder!
Regards,
LyricsTranslate.com Team

Just to warn you !

Editor
Joined: 18.12.2015
Fratelli d'ItaGlia wrote:

I wrote to LT team:
Hello. Every time I go in the profile of a song that I added, or every time I
edit a text ot translation added by me, the view counter counts an extra
display, distorting the number of them. Is it possible to solve this?
I waiting for an answer, thanks

LT Team:
Dear Fratelli d'ItaGlia,
We're already working on it, so this issue should be resolved soon. Thanks for the reminder!
Regards,
LyricsTranslate.com Team

Just to warn you !

We have a true "Reads" warrior here!
With all due respect, don't you think that this was unnecessary in some respects?
I'm sure the Admins have been informed about our suggestions or have read this topic themselves.
The fact that some of our suggestions have already been implemented or put under consideration is the proof.
Besides, I'm sure there are many good ideas which are simply not possible.
Try to remember that progress always takes time, thought and effort.
Αnd I don't know about you but I can definitely say there is some progress made lately. Regular smile

Junior Member
Joined: 11.12.2015
Editor
Joined: 18.12.2015