11 posts / 0 new
Super Member
Joined: 13.07.2016
Pending moderation

We, Romanians and not only, have a problem. On this site we have many translations from Aromanian, MeglenoRomanian and IstroRomanian. Some Romanians consider them languages, some DIALECTS of the Romanian language. The problem is that I have a song translated from AROMANIAN into Romanian but I couldn't set the original language only 'Aromanian', because we don't have such option, thus if you choose Romanian(Aromanian) and then choose in the target language Romanian(Aromanian), the site won't let you submit it..
What can we do in this case? I recommend that we should have two distinct options: Aromanian(because it's probably the most translate main language), and Romanian so we can 'Aromanian - Romanian'...
I really hope that this thread will be discussed and people will agree with me because we cannot do our passion properly.

Faithfully Yours, Sebastian

Moderator and Scholar of a Dark Age
Joined: 16.02.2011

Hello,
there is a general category for Romanian in the main list.
The category Romanian (Aromanian) is in the More Languages list.

The other idioms you mentioned have no category yet; do they need one? I.e. how much do they differ from Aromanian and from standard Romanian? And how many texts do we have in them?

Super Member
Joined: 13.07.2016

For example, we have a song in Aromanian, and... USUALLY, quite often, you need a translation to understand it as a Romanian.. There are people like me who understand because I come from a linguistic background, but most of the Romanians won't understand it fully..
Idioms or simple phrases, we do need a separate language button for Aromanian.. It is kind of considered a language, not a dialect and if I translate from Aromanian to Romanian, how do I set that? 'Cause it will say that you cannot put "From Romanian(Aromanian) into Romanian(Aromanian)", 'cause it's the same thing.. So, how do I do? I had to put "Romanian(Aromanian into Transliteration" because it wouldn't let me submit the translation with "Ro(Aro) into Ro(Aro).. Yes, it's logic that it's from Aromanian into Romanian, but the site won't let me do it, that's what I'm trying to say.

Super Member
Joined: 13.07.2016

Apparently I found how to do "Romanian(Aromanian) - Romanian", but I still consider neccesary to add "Aromanian" as a different language. It's easier to understand how and which

Moderator and Scholar of a Dark Age
Joined: 16.02.2011

As I mentioned before, those two are already treated as different languages:
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/language/romanian-aromanian
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/language/romanian

Can't you find Romanian in the list?

Moderator and Scholar of a Dark Age
Joined: 16.02.2011

Or are you saying that the category of Aromanian should be renamed?
It's a dialect (i.e. a (often not standardized) variety of another language) of Romanian, and we name all such dialects here as "standard name (dialect name)"

Super Member
Joined: 13.07.2016

Aromanian people(and I, because I'm 50%), think that it's a language and we want it to be considered a language.. I sincerely don't know if it is, but it should.. At least here we need a separate name "Aromanian", and not "Romanian(Aromanian), which is confusing.

Moderator of the avant-garde
Joined: 05.04.2012
Sebastian Florea wrote:

The problem is that I have a song translated from AROMANIAN into Romanian but I couldn't set the original language only 'Aromanian', because we don't have such option, thus if you choose Romanian(Aromanian) and then choose in the target language Romanian(Aromanian), the site won't let you submit it..

You can technically submit a translation into language X and then change it into language Y. As the system automatically transforms translations that are into the same language of the base lyrics into transliterations, you can do that to bypass this minor feature.

Not knowing either Romanian or Aromanian, I can't say anything else on the matter - though I agree with Sciera.

Super Member
Joined: 13.07.2016

I don't know.. Maybe in the future we will have "Aromanian" describing a different "language".. Though it's understandable for us, I think Aromanians would be proud.

Moderator and Scholar of a Dark Age
Joined: 16.02.2011
Alma Barroca wrote:
Sebastian Florea wrote:

The problem is that I have a song translated from AROMANIAN into Romanian but I couldn't set the original language only 'Aromanian', because we don't have such option, thus if you choose Romanian(Aromanian) and then choose in the target language Romanian(Aromanian), the site won't let you submit it..

You can technically submit a translation into language X and then change it into language Y. As the system automatically transforms translations that are into the same language of the base lyrics into transliterations, you can do that to bypass this minor feature.

Not knowing either Romanian or Aromanian, I can't say anything else on the matter - though I agree with Sciera.

It's currently not possible to edit a translation to be in the same category as the lyrics.
The only possibility is to edit the lyrics to something else, then edit the translation and then edit the lyrics back. Not available for normal users unless they added the lyrics themselves.
I already reported it.

Sebastian Florea wrote:

I don't know.. Maybe in the future we will have "Aromanian" describing a different "language".. Though it's understandable for us, I think Aromanians would be proud.

This website treats languages and dialects the same. The only issue I see is the name of the category. I've forwarded the question of renaming to the other mods and admins.

Super Member
Joined: 13.07.2016

Thank you.. I hope it will work out