Hello and welcome to LT! 🐦
Below you will find what I think are two very important rules to keep in mind during your stay:
1. When making requests: Request the translation/ transcription (the writing down of lyrics) of a song by going to: Main menu bar → Actions → Request a translation/ Request a transcription. From there, follow the instructions.
2. When adding a song, remember to also add the video. Also make sure that you're adding an official one, as those are not usually removed from Youtube, which reduces Editors' and Moderators' workload as they do not have to fix broken video links.
Official videos come in one of the four formats:
• Artist Name - Song Name (Topic) - Titles with the word "Topic" after them are videos generated by Youtube.
• Artist Name ♪ - Song Name - Artist names with a note (♪) after them are the official channel of the artist.
• Artist NameVEVO - Song Name - Artist names with "VEVO" after them also indicate an official channel.
• Artist Name - Song Name (Official) - This is the rarest format and usually means this is an independent artist. If the video is indeed an official one, the profile name usually matches with the artist's name.
Sometimes you have to scroll further down to find the correct video.
Dictionaries: English and other languages
The Free Dictionary English dictionary (leans toward US English)
Cambridge Dictionary English dictionary (leans toward UK English)
Thesaurus English thesaurus (look up synonyms)
Written Sound Look up 'sound words' (onomatopoeia)
Urban Dictionary, the 'original' one
Glosbe Powerful multilingual dictionary (evaluate results critically!)
Sanakirja.org Dictionary based on Wiktionary (in Finnish)
Sanakirja.fi A trustworthy dictionary. Partly paywalled. (in Finnish)
SES Finnish-Estonian-Finnish dictionary
Urbaani sanakirja The Finnish equivalent of Urban Dictionary
Convertcase Case converter
Rhymer Rhyme dictionary (for poetry and such)
Syllable Counter for English (for rhythmic and singable translations)
Wikipedia Look up terms and concepts between languages
Wiktionary Look up words, grammar and (sometimes) etymologies
Etymonline Look up historical meanings of words (etymologies)
An Estonian male who has been living in Finland since 2006. My Finnish proficiency is C2, or native-like proficiency.
I'm an English Studies Master's student.
My first account, which I created in 2016, was called Translationist. I renamed it to Pääsuke, or Swallow. I left LT in 2018, deleting my account. It had around 360 translations. But I couldn't stay away from LT. I've been back for a while now and do not intend to leave any time soon.
I like calm ambient, chillhop, EDM (mostly chillstep), indie, pop, rock, and occasionally some punk. And of course all the random songs that I stumble upon and think sound good. Did I mention I like Irish music? Well, I do.
Unlisted languages I have learnt (in the order of proficiency): Swedish (in school), German (in school), Chinese (two courses at the uni). I've also learnt Welsh on Duolingo. I'm currently alternating between Welsh and Swedish, as I'm trying to brush up on the latter.
My relationship with music
I (mostly) buy the music that I listen to, as opposed to streaming it from Youtube or Spotify or some other service.
This is where I get my music from:
Bandcamp (most songs pay-what-you-like, multiple file formats)
7digital (MP3 and FLAC)
Qobuz (store) (CD quality, FLAC)
HDTracks (FLAC. Sometimes cheaper than Qobuz)
iTunes for Windows (as a last resort, lowest quality of all)
About my translations
Some of my 'poetic' translations may sound silly, but at least they are somewhat singable. So when my translations say 'Poetic', it usually means they are singable as well. Most of the translations aren't equirhytmic, but the total number of syllables per line usually adds up. Sometimes, looking only at the syllable count can result in funny or silly phrases and sentences. Still, I find that translations like that make more sense, because all a literal translation does is tell the content of the lyrics, but the translation itself is not a work of art, like the original lyrics are. So my aim is to try and create something at least resembling art.