I've been thinking about this for some time now. LT is based mainly on two things: music and languages. My impression is that users tend to use the website more for its linguistical advantages (it's clear how LT can be a valid language learning tool), whereas guests are here more for the music. I'm obviously generalising, but my idea is to make this aspect more prominent for users as well.
There are different ways we can discover new music. The "Trending Now" and "New Content" sections are really useful in this regard, especially because they're shown on the homepage. There are more though: we can check the latest translations, our friends feed, look for songs in a particular language or genre and so on. We have many tools to discover new music, but I think we could take advantage of another one: suggested music.
The idea is to create a special section in the home page for music suggested by members. Each member would have the chance to put their favourite song under the spotlight for others to listen to it. I was thinking of a very simple form where each members puts the link to the song they want everyone to listen to*. Maybe we could do this every first day of the month, so the list changes every month and people don't abuse the system by suggesting a million songs just because they're obsessed with them. It would be also useful for this section to appear both on the homepage as well as on the side when browsing through the website (like the "Site Activity" box).
I've got some reasons on why this could be a big advantage:
1) It will bring more visibility to the website. Guests will come to LT not only to look for a translation of a song they like, but also to discover new music they may enjoy;
2) It may convince more guests to become translators (I'm talking in particular for those languages like Chinese or Japanese that are really popular, although their presence on LT is minimal) or even just to use LT more often. This will increase the user engagement and boost LT's reputation;
3) As a consequence, this will boost the website revenues. I know, profit shouldn't come first, but without ads, the website wouldn't even exist;
4) It will help translators finding new songs to translate (I acknowledge not everyone has this problem, but I do);
5) It will introduce people to the music of different countries. This happens already, but because there are some languages that are more popular than others, there's no much variety. On the "Trending Now" section I often see American, Russian, European and Korean songs. It would be nice to be introduced to "unpopular" music;
6) It will make translators use the site more often and interact with each other more. Everyone is a little self-centred when it comes to introduce other people to the things they like and enjoy. Different people might discover they have the same music taste and build friendships. We've all met friends on LT, this will be just an additional way to meet other people.
I want to say something very important now. What I like about LT is that it's a little space where I can feel safe. I often come here to distract myself from real life problems. Sometimes I spend hours browsing through the website, even if I don't publish anything (as I said, I often struggle to find something to translate). The admins are very humble people who see this website as a hobby. This view is shared by us viewers and I think this is what makes LT special: there's no pressure, no desire to make something remarkable or outstanding. It's just a niche little space lost in the vastness of the Internet and I like it for this exact reason. LT doesn't try to be anything more than what it already is. I can see some people thinking that my suggestion may be unnecessary. We are not on yt, LT is not a company that is trying to get as much profit as possible, to get a reputation in its field and become a point of reference for song lyrics.
I had this idea because I love this website so much (and I'm sure you feel the same) and I would like it to grow and see it get more recognition. I don't want LT to grow to the point of becoming a giant corporation, but I see that the users are always the same and, although we all appreciate their contribution and help, I think getting more people would be a big advantage to make the website more complete. As I said, some sections of this website are clearly more popular than others and I think it would be nicer to change things for the better and promote more music than we already do.
What do you think about this?
*it should be obvious, but I'll make myself clear just to be on the safe side: the song should already be present on the website. Every link should redirect to other pages on LT.