Hey, there. My name is Juan and it's a pleasure to be a part of this wonderful community.
My language(s) status:
- I'm Brazilian, so my native language is Portuguese (Brazilian Portuguese, if you want to call it by that name). That means that if you want a song translated by an European, I'm afraid I won't be able to help.
- I studied English for at least 12 years, so I can say I'm a fluent, though I haven't taken any profficiency exam so far - will do so as soon as time and money allow me to. And I am an English teacher, if knowing it matters to you.
- I had a year of Spanish classes in high school ~10 years ago, but forgot most of it.
- Had half a year of Latin classes in college, didn't go far enough (honestly, I'm more interested in learning about how Latin evolved than in speaking it).
- I know French, Italian, German and Dutch in different levels because when I was younger I used to listen to songs in these languages and then went to look for their meanings. Thanks to Laura Pausini, Céline Dion and foreign casts of Broadway musicals for being good teachers.
- καλημέρα, φιλε μου if you're reading this during the day or καλησπέρα at night, since I started taking classes on conversational Greek in May 2020.
Languages I'm interested in:
- Catalan, due to it being a mix of just about all Western Romance languages.
- Romanian, due to my field of academic research and because not many people speak Romanian in Brazil, so I thought of spreading knowledge about it.
- Galician, to reestablish a connection with my family's roots in Europe.
- Hebrew, due to its fascinating revitalization program.
A polite warning: I don't usually fulfill requests - I only do so if I have some free time available (or if I really like that specific song you want translated). If you want a song specifically translated by me, then send me a PM - but take in consideration that I'll only do it when I have the time.
I'm interested in studying about language and linguistics (specially Romance Lingustics and about language endangerment) arts in general and acting (I myself was a newbie actor ages ago and have a professional play in my portfolio). That extends to my profile picture, wherein you'll find a portrait of Oswald de Andrade Filho (Nonê), by Brazilian painter Anita Malfatti, one of my favorite painters.
If you like one of my translations, don't hesitate: click the 'Thanks' button, leave a comment or a rating. It makes me happy to know you liked what I did - and that's a way of improving myself, specially in languages I do not master yet.