Laws of LT
- Filthy, offensive, and obscene language and images are prohibited on the site, including usernames and profile pictures.That also extends to offending people based on their nationality, sexual orientation, skin color, religious beliefs, political views, etc. This is a multicultural and multinational website, so respect comes always in first place. No insults are allowed, except for within lyrics.
- Lyrics that contain serious hate messages, violence propaganda, racism and aggressive discrimination are prohibited.
- Avoid typos and wrong information.
- Don't use capslock if you haven't got a good reason to do so. Don't capitalize every letter in a song or a translation, the same goes for the title unless the title itself is originally in all caps or is an acronym.
- Do not add incomplete lyrics. If the lyrics of a song are in more than one language (one of which you don't know), please request a transcription adding the part you know in the comments, or ask for help in the forums.
- Don't add transliterations as lyrics. If you have the transliteration but no lyrics add a transcription request and add the transliteration in with the request. Or if a song is in more than one language (ex: French) add the French parts with the request (if you have it, if not leave a note) and submit the transcription request.
- Instrumentals or music without lyrics shouldn't be posted on LT, only songs with lyrics (even one line) should be published.
- Only song lyrics and poetry can be posted as artistic content, other types of content are allowed to be discussed within the forum.
- You can use these HTML-tags to format the lyrics, translations and comments you add.
- Remove URLs from within the lyrics.
- Remove original lyrics from within the translation.
- If you don't know the artist, write "Unknown Artist (x)", with x being the language.
- If you don't know the lyrics, make a transcription request.
- Write only one artist into the field "artist". There are fields for featuring artists. Please put only one artist into each field. If a song has been covered or performed by another artist using the same lyrics, you can put that other artist into the field "Also performed by".
- Religious texts/prayers belong into "Worship Songs", especially if the author is unknown.
- Traditionals with unknown author belong into "X Folk", with X being the language.
- National anthems belong into "National Anthems & Patriotic Songs".
- Lyrics should preferably be written in the writing script of the original language (Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic, Kanji, Devanagari etc.).
- Artists should be written in Latin letters. The field "original name" on an artist's page refers to the spelling in the artist's country. If it's the same as what is written into the field "artist", just leave "original name" empty. Don't write the members of a band into that field.
- Alternative titles should be added in square brackets, like "Original title [Alternative title]".
- Best write into the submitter's comment from where you have taken the lyrics (especially if it's an official source like the artist's homepage or the booklet).
- Please provide proper divisions of lyrics into stanzas whenever possible. Unless lyrics are taken from the booklet, take the three criteria in consideration: Lines must not be written with spaces between them without a reason, choruses / refrains must be separated from other parts of the song and, finally, when there is a longer break between lyrics, the two lines must be separated.
Adding a translation
- Don't plagiarize. If you would like to suggest corrections to an existing translation, please write them in the comments or send a PM to the author.
- If you add a translation you haven't done yourself, or if your translation is based on another translation, give a source.
- If you add translations you haven't done yourself, you should make sure they are not completely awful. Please be advised that very bad quality source translations would be removed - and their author risks to be warned if they continue to submit such. For that reason, it's better to add only translations into languages you know.
- Only translate into languages that you are no complete beginner of.
- Don't add machine translations. If any translations similar to Google Translate are found, they will be unpublished and you will be warned if you keep publishing translations of such quality. Machine-made transliterations are also not allowed.
- No duplicates.
- No incomplete translations.
- Please translate the song title as well as the song lyrics, whenever it is possible.
- Please write with the original alphabet of the language you translate into.
- As translations can be a mean of knowing and understanding a new language, it's better if you keep at least a colloquial (though you're free to keep an informal tone in certain contexts) language that's easy to understand - and you may use footnotes to add general explanations and comments in certain parts of the translation. Altering a language's structure and using other mechanisms to address gender-neutral language might prevent foreign people from getting the sense of the translation and that also might make them confused.
- If you want to edit your translation, a song or a comment you added, click on "edit".
- Correction of an original lyric performed by an editor or a moderator may not be reversed by a user who is not an editior or moderator.
- Don't steal people's translations to post them in other websites - please contact the submitter to ask whether they mind their work to be published elsewhere.
- Only rate translations if you know both the source language and target language.
- If you have transcribed lyrics that were requested but several parts are missing, it's better to write your transcription in a comment beneath the request.
- Look if there are comments beneath a request before adding your translation/transcription.
- "Idioms" is for phrases that have figurative meaning, and not for normal random sentences.
- Each idiom should be added separately. If two idioms look similar and have the same meaning, they should be added as equivalents.
- Avoid requesting a song translation in the Forum, it only should be done just in case your request is taking too long.
- Please keep the good tone and be respectful towards the others in the comments and the forum. If you do not agree with a song's lyrics, please contact the singer/band directly, as LyricsTranslate has nothing to do with the content in the songs. Any provocative comments will be deleted and the users - warned.
Do you have another question?Administrator and show your interest.